Sunday, June 14, 2020

Plague Journal, Day 93: Listening to Jazz: A Window on American Racism

Sunday: Another gorgeous late spring day in Brooklyn, sunny, breezy, no humidity. I’m trying to work, but saxophone strains drift through my open apartment windows. Not just one sax —two tenors and an alto, I think, plus bass, drum, electric guitar. I recognize “Bye Bye Blackbird,” then something from Coltrane’s “Giant Steps.” These guys are good. A recording? It sounds too vivid. I hear applause smatterings. Where is this coming from? 
Inevitably I think of my late father, whose records provided much of my youth’s soundtrack. He grew up in the jazz heyday, loved Jelly Roll Morton, Louie Armstrong, Django Reinhardt, big bands, swing, bop, the West Coast sound. He and Mom went to the Monterey Jazz Festival every Labor Day weekend for decades, where they shared a box with friends. Dad was untrained but had a good ear; he required drive, disliked showiness (Jo Jones more than Buddy Rich, say), discipline, not schmaltz (yes to Dave Brubeck, the Modern Jazz Quartet; hard pass on Al Hirt, Maynard Ferguson).

Dad grew up in Oakland, Calif., where he and two of his six siblings — his older brother, Bernie, and his younger brother John — must have been hooked by jazz radio shows. By the early 1940s, in their teens, before being drafted into the Army to fight in Europe, they wanted to see live shows at Sweet’s Ballroom, a dance hall at 1933 Broadway in Oakland founded by William Sweet and his brother, which hosted big bands, other jazz performers. 


Here’s the story he told us kids: Bernie, Paul, and John tried to convince their mother to let them see Jimmie Lunceford and his orchestra. (This could have been Friday, July 19, 1942, when Dad was 17 — Billboard listings show Lunceford was scheduled to play Sweet’s that night.) Tickets couldn’t have been expensive; money was tight — in my dad’s telling, every penny of the boys’ magazine subscription sales went to their mother for the household budget. Their mother expressed skepticism. 

How much of her hesitation was born of racism? Born in Worcester, Mass., my grandmother, though her family had little (only her husband’s salary as a Bank Of America teller), was a thoroughgoing snob: “lace-curtain Irish” as opposed to “shanty Irish.” She was whip-smart, educated — a teacher before her marriage, who regularly substitute taught all grades for ailing nuns in the local parish schools. A deeply religious woman (twice the parish’s “mother of the year”), she disdained Catholics of different nationalities (Poles were “Pole-acks,” Italians “Eye-tees”); don’t get her started on people of different skin tones. Jazz was an African-American art form; Benny Goodman might have been the King of Swing, but the bands my dad and his brother liked were led primarily by blacks, including Jimmie Lunceford. Safe to bet she wouldn’t have been persuaded by anything she heard on the radio.

In the end, she agreed to let them go (probably on a bus down Foothill Boulevard) if accompanied by their father, whose mind was more open. In the event, Dad said, Lunceford’s show was nothing but class. He dressed his orchestra in matching suits; players would stand for solos, then sit back down; they were tight; they swung like crazy. 1942 would have been past the band’s prime; Lunceford didn’t sell enough records, his best players leaving for more prominent bandleaders. But he picked players with taste, and he had a great catalogue. The crowd ate it up; my grandfather was, Dad said, “knocked out.” After that, the boys could go to Sweet’s anytime they could scrape up the ticket money.

They went on Fridays, when bands played to white spectators. Oakland wasn’t officially a segregated city, but touring bands at Sweet’s played Fridays for whites, Saturdays for blacks. (Some Saturday shows were apparently not publicized, but Dad knew about them.) Before World War II and the Second Great Migration, fewer than 10,000 of Oakland’s 300,000 residents were black; but Sweet’s would attract jazz fans from San Francisco, the entire East Bay. 

Listening to bands like Lunceford’s helped convince my father and his siblings to ignore their mother’s racism. Also pivotal, in Dad’s telling: the nuns at St. Elizabeth’s School, who told him that God loved all His children, including people from Africa and Latin America and Asia, even the non-Catholics. The sisters shut down racist schoolyard speech; “they wouldn’t tolerate that nonsense,” Dad said. 

The nuns didn’t shut down parish racism, by any stretch. A cousin (one of 35 on my father’s side — my parents’ embrace of birth control was the family exception, contributing to their ultimate departure from the Church) recently posted on social media about his father, who grew up across 42nd Street from the McCormicks, married their eldest child; the two then raised 10 children, including nine boys. 

“My dad owned and operated a cabinet shop in Oakland,” my cousin wrote. “His foreman was a black man named Parnell Thrower. Parnell's brother, Cordell, worked in the shop, too. I remember as a child feeling proud that my dad hired black men for important jobs in his shop, and yet I remember only one time that Parnell actually came to our house. He needed to tell my dad something. My dad did not invite Parnell into the house, but spoke to him standing out in the front yard. 

“More vivid to me are memories of hearing my dad (and my older brothers) use the N-word frequently and casually. My parents also hired a black woman, Adelaide Hawkins, whom we called 'the cleaning lady.' I remember most vividly seeing Adelaide down on her hands and knees in our kitchen scrubbing and waxing the floor as I would come home from school. I never knew a thing about Adelaide other than that she cleaned and scrubbed our house; she was our 'cleaning lady.' I have many other similar memories from my childhood that are fraught with such racism. Where to start to undo the unforgivable crimes we all so casually committed and that we are all so guilty of?” 

My family preached a (culturally Catholic but, to us kids, non-religious) gospel of inclusion and tolerance. That said, growing up in California’s Central Valley, we had very few African-Americans in our home. My mom often told stories of a black graduate-school friend she remained close to, but I don’t recall meeting her. Our friendship circles were not racially diverse. The only blacks I recall regularly visiting our home were cleaning ladies: Mrs. Herndon and, later, Mrs. McCoy, elderly women (at least in my view) who moved slowly, cleaned thoroughly, spoke rarely and with unfailing politeness. I knew nothing of their lives, never asked. 

I look with shame upon a family joke we told over the course of years: Whenever anything was missing (keys, a magazine, a deck of cards), we’d say, “Mrs. Herndon [or Mrs. McCoy] must have taken it.” We knew this was silly; Mrs. Herndon and Mrs. McCoy were images of rectitude; the joke was mostly on our own forgetfulness or sloppiness in misplacing something. Still, the inherent racial and power imbalances today make me queasy. 

In his social media post my cousin added, “I suspect that my dad's employment of Parnell was based largely on financial considerations — a black man would work far more cheaply than a white man in the same job. That's only speculation, but it would be consistent with my dad's attitudes about money. 

“One thing I do know is that he sold the house in Oakland and moved up to the mountains primarily because homes in our neighborhood were more and more being purchased by black families. I remember at least one very ugly encounter between a neighbor who was angry that another neighbor was selling his house to a black family — a loud and nasty screaming match across the street, with an abundant use of the N-word. My father was not involved in that argument (thank God), but I think he must have been largely sympathetic to the point of the argument. You know, I've always wondered why it was only my three oldest brothers (and one of them, in particular) who reflected these attitudes and not the rest of us. I think it must have been because they spent a lot more time with my father, working in the cabinet shop; they heard and saw the racism in action while the rest of us did not. I don't know. There's a lot more I remember and wonder about.” 

I’m still wondering about the music drifting through my windows. I head outside, drop off laundry, follow my ears. Turns out that a sextet (drum kit, stand-up bass, electric guitar, three saxes) is playing in the courtyard of an apartment building a half block south on Clinton Avenue. I glimpse them over a wrought-iron gate, partially hidden by shrubbery. They’re playing 6 feet apart, masks around their necks. A few apartment dwellers watch, physically distant, sitting on patio chairs; three of us listen from the sidewalk. The bass player is white, drummer and sax players black; I can’t see the guitarist; all look to be at least in their 60s. They take turns soloing, listen intently when not playing, nod and grunt with the musicians’ empathy I admire to a point of envy. Their playing would be right at home on the records I grew up with (some of which I inherited, still play); the solos are smooth, suit the song, inventive but not flying to fits of self-indulgence; even the drummer, his hands zipping around the kit with propulsive ease, takes less than a minute before handing it back to the combo. I stand and listen for a while, until they take a break; later they kick back into gear, to the appreciation of, from what I can gather a dozen stories off the street, a larger crowd. 

Dad would have loved it. 

4 comments:

Tom R (Sacramento) said...

Excuse the unstructured nature of the thoughts that follow, Gavin, but I just want to share a few more thoughts with you. As I said at your dad's funeral, I totally idealized my Uncle Paul and everything he loved. He was my ideal in a man. I would probably have believed it if someone had told me that Uncle Paul and Gregory Peck in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' were separated at birth. That idealization is nothing I can explain--it just was how I saw him. It's probably hard for you to believe or understand, but it's just that he was the antithesis of my father. I never heard any jazz in our house (well, maybe Big Band once in a while). Mostly, my dad listened to Mantovani and Percy Faith. And my mother, I think, had nothing but contempt for her brothers' tastes--maybe even for her brothers themselves, and especially your father. Those feelings were never visible in any interactions between our families--she was always impeccably polite and 'nice.' She was definitely her mother's daughter, although she was not nearly as obviously forbidding and grand as grandmother was. Anyway, somehow, God only knows how, I acquired a taste for classical music, which was never heard either in our house, and a taste for reading and study. I think I have your dad and uncle Bernie to thank for that. I was just enamored of your father's love of the arts, and I especially admired his commitment to social justice. That's a term I never heard used by anyone until I went away to college in the early 70s. But knowing that your dad had actively participated in civil rights marches in the South was shockingly appealing to me. On the other hand, my mom's eternal mantra was, 'Be careful or you'll be sorry.' She wouldn't step over a boundary of any sort for any reason. While my dad's racism was pretty well kept under wraps, being sufficiently overt on occasion so that there was no missing it, my mom's was completely hidden behind her veil of Christian charity, a commitment to, 'If you can't say anything nice about a person, don't say anything at all.' I can't begin to tell you how frustrating that veil was to me as a child, how much I yearned to escape from it. Your dad, on the other hand, seemed fearless to me, eager to make a difference in the world and enjoy its pleasures, while my parents seemed frozen in fear of anything that was not a totally comfortable fit. Well, thank God for Uncle Paul, or at least for my version of him. What a huge difference he made in my life. That's all for now. Thanks for listening, Gavin.

Gavin McCormick said...

I've always been moved by the memories of your relationship to Dad, Tom. He certainly always impressed me, mostly in positive ways; but his thoughts, or our intuition of them, took up a lot of the house's imaginative and emotional space, and I can't step outside of that to see him whole from other perspectives, no matter how much I appreciate them (yours foremost). His choices that mattered so deeply to you -- love of jazz, love of reading, belief in social and racial justice -- were to us givens, which I take as gifts, almost entirely. He doubtless had fears, but he didn't share them with us; and the fearlessness you mention (which mostly struck me as routine) obtruded at unusual moments, such as at Kezar Stadium (I was 4 or 5) when he confronted a ticket scalper -- a guy cutting the ticket line, then selling the tickets at high prices at the line's rear. The guy had 6 inches and 50 pounds on him, but Dad didn't hesitate to grab his arm, get in his face, tell him to get the hell to the back of the line; when his sense of justice was outraged, he acted. I'm glad his influence on you meant so much in your life, Tom; I can't entirely account for it in mine. Thanks for writing (and for reading).

Malachy McCormick said...

Thank for these stories, Gavin and Tom. It is fascinating to read these accounts of Paul and his views on social and racial justice. I didn't learn these things about him until my teenage years. These views were givens for my sister and myself when we were growing up. I assume many of my dad's views came directly from your parents. I had a much different experience when dealing with race and racism with grandpa. An important lesson I discovered as a teenager and young adult: the family members we idolize growing up are all flawed individuals. They have that in common with all human beings. Paul was no exception.

Being the child of a white man from a family that was proud to be Irish (we still are) and an American Indian woman who was also very proud of her heritage, family lore and cultural history were a part of the stories growing up. My mother grew up, from what I can gather, in a fairly poor family and spent time in her childhood on the res in Oklahoma before the family relocated to Missouri. While she never revealed much about her past when we were children, she had explained to my sister and me fairly early on that there are certain terms for American Indians that were never to be tolerated.

When I was a young child (maybe 6 or 7), Paul and I were watching the news during our yearly visits to Stockton and there was a story of a protest at a Washington Redskins game. A group of American Indian activists were calling for the team to change its racist name. In a fit of rage, grandpa jumped out of his chair exclaiming, "Are you kidding me?! THEY'RE HONORING THEM!" He then turned to me and said, "Right??" as if to receive some sort of validation from me.

Part of that pride that my mother's family, the Bomberry's, embody (in the case of my mother's eldest sister, to the point of hysteria) involves dealing with significant amounts of cultural trauma. Traumas that are not centuries in the past but, quite frankly, ongoing to this day. As a young white-presenting American Indian kid, I was not able to process those traumas in the moment with my white grandfather to the point of being able to respond to him. It seemed like such an odd thing to have such a strong reaction to, particularly in the presence of your grandchild, an enrolled tribal member. As a result, for years I firmly believed that he held racist views towards communities of color in general based on this experience.

As a teenager, I enjoyed getting to know some of the stories of grandpa's views on social justice and racial justice directly from Paul as we'd sit in the living room on the weekend and listen to his jazz records as he lectured me on the finder points of artform.

As I reflected on this event after his death, an important lesson I took away was on the complexities of racism and white supremacy and our (mine, the McCormick's, white people generally) complicity in it. If a person as open-minded as Paul could say something so utterly offensive and racist to his grandchild then it certainly goes to show just how engrained these views are in our own families, whether we realize it or not.

I certainly don't fault grandpa for being a flawed person. I do, however, wish I could have processed through the memory of this experience as an adult with him. That would surely have been a rich and therapeutic conversation.

r yolles said...

hey Gavin, I have been enjoying these posts. Old Jazz poster made me stop and check this out. I too grew up with jazz, my mom's dad led bands in Chicago from the 20s into the 70s (wherein my brothers were a short feature and the kid drummers...Big Noise From Winnetka ( which is where I was raised BTW). My dad was also a jazz fan among other music so very early on we saw shows and got to meet the musicians all of whom were very nice to us...Buddy Rich was acid tongues funny, somehow we had dinner with him in between sets. Happy to find you know who Papa Jo Jones was (although I watch him and see great showman ship just not Buddy's bombastic thang). As a kid we went to rock shows as well. Steely Dan opening for the Guess Who ,Rare Earth, etc. Nowadays I am really missing interactive playing but herding the cats (cheap jazz joke) is a hassle. Stay safe n be peaceful.