Saturday, April 29, 2017

An Uncle Tom memory

My Uncle Tom died this week. My father’s younger brother, he was the sixth of seven siblings and the last of them to survive. Following a lingering illness, his death came as a relief, and as an occasion for reminiscence.

Perhaps because he never married, or perhaps because he lived for years in his parents’ home caring for his aging mother, it seemed to me that Uncle Tom held more strongly than his siblings qualities that I perceived as quintessentially “McCormick.” Among these were generosity; a sense of purpose and duty, including to family; and an ethical core unwavering in its sense of right and wrong. Uncle Tom was kind, friendly, and a font of engaging stories; he remembered every birthday; he took nieces and nephews on extravagant trips (including my brother and me to the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal). We always enjoyed his visits. But, like all McCormicks, his judgments could be sharp. And he harbored a steeliness that could edge into severity, which at times cowed me.

One Uncle Tom memory holds a distinguished place in my trove of family lore. Its taproot, as with any Uncle Tom story, is kindness and generosity: he flew across the country, along with my parents and my mother’s stepsister, Sheila Dowd, to celebrate my college graduation, in the Hudson Valley of New York, in 1988.

After the ceremony, that quartet of adults took a friend and me on a week-long trip through upstate New York and New England. We rented a van. My father and Uncle Tom handled the driving and sat in front; my mother and Aunt Sheila consulted maps and sat in the middle seats; and my friend and I sat in the back: a congenial group.

One day featured a long drive through New Hampshire and a good distance into Maine. As was typical, Mom and Aunt Sheila maintained a lively conversation, sparked by observations from guidebooks that littered the middle seats. We stopped for an early lunch, then began a long trek up I-95 to our next hotel, with Uncle Tom at the wheel. At some point, the two women agreed, we should break up the afternoon by stopping at a local tourist destination. They busied themselves researching possibilities. I can’t recall what they selected: a maritime museum, a gallery, a Victorian mansion. But it was right off the interstate, and we could stretch our legs for 20 minutes. It was coming up, in just three or four exits. Uncle Tom drove on, silent. Aunt Sheila read aloud one guidebook’s description; Mom read another’s. Now it was just one exit away. We barreled along. The exit approached. “Here it is!” Aunt Sheila said. Uncle Tom kept his foot on the accelerator. Mom leaned forward. “It’s this exit, Tom,” she said. Uncle Tom said nothing, aimed the van straight ahead, and sped past. “We need to -- ah, well,” Aunt Sheila said, craning to glimpse the road not taken, then slumping in her seat. My friend and I looked at each other, eyes wide. My mother and Aunt Sheila formed a formidable pair; I couldn’t recall anyone ignoring them in quite this way. And Uncle Tom was usually so solicitous. No one spoke. Then, perhaps five miles up the road, Uncle Tom announced, “We’re going to get to the hotel, and we’re going to have a drink!” Which, an hour or so later, is precisely what we did. We checked into the hotel; Uncle Tom or Dad pulled a bottle of Irish from a suitcase; I filled the ice bucket; somebody brought out the mixed nuts; and we all sat in the hotel suite and had a drink. Sitting in a padded chair, holding his sweating plastic cup, Uncle Tom let out a long exhale and said, “Aaah, baby!” with what seemed particular satisfaction.

I took a solo trip in Scotland last summer, walking for a week across the southern lowlands, sleeping each night in a different town. In the mornings I stopped often, taking pictures, admiring scenery. But after lunch as the sun lowered and I grew weary and my destination beckoned I would up my pace and pause less, pulled by visions of the Scotch I would soon sip at the local pub. Uncle Tom, I realized, knew of what he spoke: We’re going to get to the hotel, and we’re going to have a drink. Each evening I drank a silent toast in his honor.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What lovely reminiscence of Uncle Tom. I have been loving the pictures of your Mom, Monica, and now Tish,Martin and Goga.in Paris keeping up the McCormick family traditions. Traveling with family and in my mind getting it "right" is such a gift of your family. Lucky for me and mine that we have sometimes been a part of the wonderful McCormick family.

Tom R (Sacramento) said...

You have captured Uncle Tom quite well, Gavin. I never traveled anywhere with him, but I recall Tom's frequent presence in the Roberson home; his dutiful attention to his mother in her final years; his attendance at every first communion, confirmation, graduation and wedding; his thoughtfulness in giving me a subscription to The New Yorker during my college years; and a couple of trips to Bay Meadows (he was engaged and happy, I was bored). Most of all I remember his strong opinions, gregariousness and generous nature. I miss the old days when Uncle Tom was in his prime. Thanks for sharing your experiences with him. He was a man we all loved. Cousin Tom

Gavin McCormick said...

Thanks so much, Ellen. I know Mom and Monica are sorry to miss Uncle Tom's memorial service next week, but I also know he would have well understood their reason. Travel is one of life's great pleasures, and it's been a pleasure to be able to travel so much with you and yours through the years. Here's to more journeys, be they shared or separate.

I remember visiting you, Cousin Tom, with Uncle Tom and my brother in 1976 in Worcester, Mass., while you were at Clark U. I think you were with us when we visited Great Uncle Henry, who provided my first experience of senile dementia, and who should not have been living alone at that late stage. (He noted at least a half-dozen times that Uncle Tom was as bald as "Joe Garage-i-ola.") And I'm certain we saw together Murder By Death, an Agatha Christie satire with a stellar cast; as we walked out, you smiled grimly, shook your head, and said, "Not very good," and I was grateful since I hadn't liked it either. I look forward to seeing you at the memorial next weekend.